Thursday 13 September 2012

All within a stones throw...


I am gradually testing the waters of Baggio – the local area where we live. As with all new places, you start by tentatively making small steps into the immediate area, gradually becoming braver and venturing further afield. At first I am afraid of becoming lost. Then there is getting mugged. Not being understood.  I don’t know any landmarks. I have no idea where north is and it wouldn’t help me anyway. But within days, I’ve got a few streets sussed, got my bearings a little, feel bold enough to just try.

Yesterday it rained all afternoon. Thunder, lightning, torrential down pour rain. The boys and I sat it out until Rory came ‘home’ (and the rain was subsiding) and then we donned the gumboots and jackets and headed out. The boys jumped in every puddle they could find until we found a fountain in a small square which they were able to really finish the soaking off. So ‘un-italian’ – letting kids get wet and dirty! The walk in the rain helped me to push the safe limits out further and discover more about the area.

view from the balcony after the rain filled day
We’ve found we live near some great food joints. Today we lunched with the ‘DRAM’ team. DRAM is owned by Alison and they sell our products. She employs about 4 women who help run the show and she put on a lunch to welcome the Jone’s family. So we’ve ticked off the long Italian lunch already. 3 courses and coffee. Amazing food. And about 50 metres from where we live!
Last night Rory and I did pizza while Alison babysat! I love watching the waiters work the tables. They are such pros. Remembering the orders, carrying loaded plates at speed, the banter with the customers.
Alison, Katia, Jane, Enza, Alessandra and Elise - Rory taking picture
View from the dining room



The local old church

Gwilym tries the door..



And – my mother will be thrilled to hear this – we have a second hand shop just near our house as well. Today I bought really really expensive Italian shoes (the DRAM ladies knew the label) for 8 euro. Well done me.

We are still buzzing about the park( Parco delle Cave). Check out the link to see some images of it:


1 comment:

  1. Hey good on you for venturing out. Before you know it you'll be zooming around on your bike and not thinking twice about how to get back again! Love the photo of Silas eating out - looking very European in his white shirt and handling the cutlery like a pro.

    ReplyDelete